A4 – Space for Contemporary Culture is an independent, non-commercial center for contemporary culture in the center of Bratislava. It is oriented towards creation, presentation and education in present-day forms of theatre, dance, music and film, contemporary visual culture and new media art. Since its beginning in 2004, A4 has a unique position in the cultural life of the city and has managed to create a very creative and inspiring environment around itself. The productivity of A4 can be proved by more than 3000 organized cultural events, presenting and initiating innovative artistic creations. The music programming is focused on cutting-edge expressions of contemporary music. The A4 cinema club offers screenings of artistic films which are usually not shown elsewhere in the region. Besides that, A4 works with young artists and volunteers and develops the local cultural scene and community.
About the project
A4 is looking for 4 full-time European Solidarity Corps volunteers. Duration: 12 months, from September 2021 until the end of August 2022 We ask you to be committed to participate the whole duration, it’s important for the project, your learning development and for the hosting organization.
Tasks and activities of the participant
The ESC participant will carry out some general tasks which are the same for all the participants in the project. Besides that, every participant will be specialized in one of these fields:
- Photo documentation / graphic design. We are looking for someone who wants to shoot photos of the events and edit them. After that, the participant will upload them to our web gallery. This person can also create the graphic design of the A4 zine and/or focus on social media management. We don't provide equipment, so the participant should bring an own camera and PC with editing software.
- Video documentation of the events at A4. The participant will film performances and interviews with artists performing in A4. This also includes the post-production of the material. Then, the videos are uploaded to A4’s YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUUvnalhlLI_mcpzDYfJa_w) and Facebook account (https://www.facebook.com/A4.priestor.sucasnej.kultury/). Within this specialization, the participant will cooperate with local professional video makers. We don’t provide equipment, so the participant should bring an own camera and PC with editing software.
- Technical support at A4’s events. We are looking for a person with experience or interest in the technical support of events. The tasks include managing the lights and sound in preparation of and during concerts, theater performances and other events. Part of this specialization is also recording and editing the sound of interviews and performances for the video documentation.
- Journalistic specialization. The participant will write reports and reviews of the activities in A4. This will be published on A4’s media channels and in the A4 zine (in English). The zine is created completely by the ESC-volunteers, from design to text. The participant will also prepare and carry out interviews with international artists performing in A4.
The general tasks are related to the everyday processes within a cultural center. This is mostly promotion, production and administrative tasks. For the promotion of the venue, participants will help with A4s social networks, distributing posters in the city (2 times per month), basic graphic design, web design, and more. For the production, the participants will sell tickets before the events, are the host of foreign artists who perform in our space and prepare basic technical equipment. Besides this, the participants will help with the maintenance of the venue.
Other activities depend on mutual discussion and on individual preferences, background and profile of the participant. They can develop their own (creative) project (for example workshop, exhibition, blog, movie, zine, podcast etc). In short, the activities are very varied and there is a lot of space to discuss the preferences of the participant.
We are looking for ESC eligible participants who:
- are between 18-30 years old at the start of the project (September 2021)
- are resident in a EU or EEA (including UK) country. So the participant doesn’t need a
12 month residence permit for Slovakia.
- have interest in contemporary art.
- are open-minded, flexible, pro-active and communicative.
- have an intermediate level of English language.
- have some creative skills in photography, web design and general knowledge of the Adobe Creative Suite. (preferred but not necessary)
We are looking for people who are flexible and don’t mind working on evenings and weekends. We can’t offer a strict weekly schedule, which means that in the peak of the season (autumn) the participant’s work schedule might exceed the working-hours limit (35 hours). This will be compensated in the low season and by having 2 weeks of Christmas holiday and 1 month of summer holiday.
Expenses within the project are covered by the European Union.
- The volunteers will be housed in a shared apartment.
- Travel costs to and from Slovakia at the beginning and end of the project are covered.
- There are 2 bikes available for commuting around the city. The volunteers also receive
a transport card for travelling within the city.
- The participants will receive €9 a day as pocket money and food money. This is
around €270 a month.
- The volunteers will have Slovak language lessons to learn the basics.
How to apply
Apply by filling in this form:
The deadline for applications is 6th of September 2021.
If you have any questions, contact Barbora Nemcekova at email@example.com.
We will be doing Skype/zoom interviews with shortlisted candidates within a week after the